Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Spring Fever!

From And Sow My Garden Grows

From And Sow My Garden Grows


Nothing like a warm sunny day and the hints of spring to push us in to gear around here. After seeing how beautiful it was yesterday morning I knew that nothing would get done inside the house. For it was that kind of day for us... something had to give to allow us to enjoy every minute in the yard enjoying this long awaited weather. I had fun building a cucumber arch in between the kids beds. It took about 30 minutes to throw together with wire fencing and bamboo stakes. I've never grown cukes this way but have seen some really neat looking arches online and thought the kids would love to play under one. They look kind of magical when covered with a vine. I do hope it's successful. We finally installed some fencing wire to the posts along our neighbors garage to create a screen so we wouldn't have to look at the side of that garage anymore. I can already imagine some kind of evergreen vine taking over the whole thing. I would love a fast growing cottage rambler/scented rose of some kind but know nothing about roses and need to read up on them. I also thought of the black eyed susan vine which I LOVE but worry about frost. I'd really like an evergreen vine, preferably a vigorously growing one (I'm not one for patience :) and something that could offer a punch of color with bloom. Ideas? My zinnias as always will find their home under the screen there along the garage. They thrive there every summer for months and grow to 5 feet tall (no joke here) and are the best flowers to cut for a vase. They are a favorite of mine. Easy to grow, lovely & long living in a vase and I've been easily harvesting seeds from them. How rewarding is that!?!

No comments: