Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Welcoming the Three Sisters at Tilden Park

 I received a copy of Edible East Bay last week and enjoyed it so much. It was full of great resources about gardening and local events and local foods, season by season. We attended one of the listed events (which was free - bonus:) at Tilden Park last Saturday and had so much fun. It was a hands on gardening event where children were learning how to plant the Native Americans' Three Sisters: beans, squash and corn.  Maggie was especially excited about the event because she had learned about the Three Sisters last year in 3rd grade. Both kids enjoyed the experience. They created mounds out of rich compost and planted away. After the event they received seeds for home and corn plants and were invited back in September to see the results of their work. It was a wonderful day for all of us.

13 comments:

MAYBELLINE said...

I was not impresses with the results of my 3 Sisters garden last summer. Perhaps I should have planted a dead fish under each mound. Gross.

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

That's right, Maybelline! Ha - maybe I ought to do that here. The kids will be planting the 3 sisters here at home this Sat.

Cameron said...

Nice one. Children are working in garden for plantation is really a good habit. By doing such we can create awareness towards our environment. We can use flower, fruit and medicinal plants for this. It will be better for us as well as our society. For a better growth and production we can use fertilizers, which are really effective.

เมคา said...

Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that.สล็อต 999

เมคา said...

Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.สล็อตวอเลท

wan225 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wan225 said...

Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much, and I am looking forward to Hearing from your next..สล็อตxo

wan225 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wan225 said...

I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up..เว็บสล็อต

wan225 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wan225 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wan225 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wan225 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.