Monday, February 7, 2011

Growing Potatoes in Containers



Every year, I mention to someone how much I'd love to grow potatoes. I remember harvesting them once, when I was a teenager, out of a neighbor's garden. I couldn't stop digging. It was so exciting to find potato after potato! It wasn't until a year ago, or so, when I discovered they could be grown in containers. I thought this was great because I heard potatoes can attract insects to the garden and also I heard that they are a pretty cumbersome plant taking up lots of real estate and that they are difficult to get rid of if you don't manage to pull all the potatoes up. I also thought this would be a great gardening project to do with the kids. I surfed the web a bit looking for good tutorials and found a great article here from Love Apple Farm. Our seed potatoes were on the small size so we planted them whole. It was a fun project to do with my daughter and we enjoyed our afternoon in the garden on one of the first sunny and warm days of the new year. We can't wait to see how they do.

2 comments:

meemsnyc said...

We grew potatoes for the first time last year. It is a lot of fun digging them up. I'll have to acquire some big containers to try growing them in. This year, we decided not to grow any potatoes so that we can grow other veggies and fruit. Definitely next year!!

Reba said...

We grew potatoes from potato seeds last year, too. The crop wasn't big, but they were delicious! Glad we didn't have any run-ins with potato bugs. They're kind of nasty looking little fellas.